Saturday, January 29, 2011

Good, Better, Best- Fast Shutter Speed

All week I was thinking about my photo assignment (2 shallow depth of field images, 2 greater depth, 2 fast shutter speed, 2 long shutter). I was actually thinking that fast shutter speed would be the easiest. After all, almost every image we take involves freezing motion. Pictures of pets, kids playing at the park, etc. all involve taking movement in real life, and freezing it into still life for scrapbooking and such.

Well, surprisingly, this was pretty hard for me! I still need one other fast shutter-speed subject, but I figured I would share my experiences so far. For my first subject, I chose water out of a faucet.

Good.
Okay, obviously this image isn't good at all. No water!

This image still isn't good. Though the shutter speed was fast enough to capture a potential drip, this isn't aesthetically pleasing.

Now, this one could have been a much better photo with faster shutter speed, and MORE LIGHT. The sink is clearly dripping, but there is no detail.
Better.
Really nice droplet here, but again, not enough light. The lack of light causes the blur.

Okay, this image isn't so bad. The droplets are mostly clear. The problem here is that the droplet is really too small to create any sort of effect. Not too interesting to look at.

This droplet is the best out of the "better" section, but again, too blurry.
Best.

Finally enough light! I love how crisp each droplet is, and how each reflects the light from the lamp.


Again, really crisp. Droplets are lower in the photo which makes it feel like it was cut off or something, but the image quality is there.


This image is really nice, good amount of light, each droplet is sharp and in focus, and I really love the shadow the droplet casts on the wall behind the sink. I would say this image is the best for three reasons: 1) Droplets are a very nice shape and size. 2) Light creates sharp enough edges 3) Shutter speed was fast enough that there was no blur.



So now I just have to choose which one out of the "Best" catagory I want to submit for grading! Let me know what you think :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is really neat! How long did it take to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These images are all from today, taking these was about a 30 minute process, but I have been trying all week to get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the last one. It is awesome. They are all pretty cool. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete