Monday, April 4, 2011

Self Portrait.

It's been a while.

Mostly, that's because for about the past month of my life, I have been stressing stressing stressing STRESSING about my TOUGHEST photo assignment yet: A Self Portrait.

At first, I thought it would be easy. I take pics of myself all the time. But the more I learned about the project, the more I started to worry.

This wasn't just ANY picture, we had to take a picture of ourselves that has a story or meaning, print out an 8x10 (excuse me, I dont like my face that big!) and write a lil' essay to go along with it.
After coming up with countless ideas (and, no joke, saying countless prayers to help me get this puppy done) I spent hours with that camera of mine, trying to create some meaning.

In class, we looked at several very dark and dreary meaningful self portraits. A woman with breast cancer, a girl who was depressed and created self portraits with suicidal messages, a man who's life work was ruined and posed as a 'drowned man'. Though these images made me grateful for my happy life, they also really intimidated me.

So I sat. I sat infront of a camera. taking pictures of my feet or my hands or my face, trying to think of something that would be cool, creative, interesting, and original.

Unlike all my other projects which have been a wrestle with my camera, this project was really inside my head. After messing around for an hour today, I decided to call it quits. I went over to my bathroom mirror, hair crazy, eyeliner smudges, lips chapped- Everything was awful! Then, it clicked.

To Be Beautiful

It's a little picasso-esque, I think. It is pretty darn weird. Way different than anything I have done before. However, I think I can write an essay about this. I titled it "to be beautiful" so write there I can write a whole bunch of stuff about society's perceptions of beauty, what makes individuals feel beautiful, what are people covering up, etc. It may not be the happiest little essay, but it is bound to get some points with the professor.

There you have it! Sorry for all the words! :P

3 comments:

  1. It's a really cool concept. I think it will get you the points you need, too. Although we all know there's a lot more to you than make up, it's an awesome picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love the story behind the picture. Include that in your essay. :)

    ReplyDelete